Monday, November 17, 2008

Getting Ready

Hello everyone!

Welcome to my blog. As many of you know, I will soon embark on a year-long journey to South Korea. In order to stay in touch with all of you, and let you know about my adventures, I have started this "weblog" (a.k.a. blog). Also, if you come across this blog and you're also a teacher in Korea, or if you are going to be a teacher in Korea, please don't hesitate to get in touch. I'll be happy to answer questions about the application/visa process etc.

Please feel free to leave comments and check back often to see what I have been up to. To access entries from past months, see the "Past entries" section to the right and select the month you'd like to see.



Yesterday I began to pack. I'm figuring out how to put a year of my life into 2 checked pieces of baggage, a carry-on and a laptop. It has been a challenge! I have been told that the following things are either hard to find in Korea, or are expensive:
  • Deodorant
  • Canadian flavours of Toothpaste
  • Shoes that fit my size 10.5 feet (which aren't really THAT big...)

The time in Korea is 14 hours ahead of Hamilton, Ontario. That means that currently it is 3:00pm on the 17th of November, but in Bucheon, South Korea it is 5:00 am on the 18th of November. As most of my posts will be from Bucheon, the time stamp of these posts will be in Korean time.

This is my schedule for Thursday/Friday:

  • Leave home at 5am to catch a 8am flight from Toronto.
  • Fly from Toronto to Chicago
  • Fly from Chicago to Tokyo
  • Fly from Tokyo to Incheon
  • Drive from Incheon to my apartment (officetel) in Bucheon
  • Arrive at my new home at 10pm on Friday

The whole process from 5am (Ontario) to 10pm (Korea) is 27 hours. That includes layovers, flight times and driving times.

I'm sure I will have more interesting news when I get to Korea and I will have pictures at that time as well.

Well folks, I have spent the last few weeks saying goodbye to everyone I love in Canada, and I really will miss all of you! Hopefully this blog will be an effective tool that will help us keep in touch and keep you informed!

7 comments:

  1. what is an officetel

    ReplyDelete
  2. The word officetel is a combination of office and hotel. It's a nicer version of an apartment with more amenities and generally closer to the heart of a city than an apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you have this blog! I will be putting it into my "daily reads" list.. you should feel special! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ian: Thought I would drop you a line on your new site. Just think, when we consider email, messaging, video cam and now blog posting, it will be almost as though you haven't really left home at all (pause) NOT!

    See you tomorrow! How anonymous is this?
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yo Yo check it. This is a cool website to keep in touch. Hopefully I can get the computer fixed and hook up to a web cam. Talk to you soon, We will miss you!

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. Canadian flavoured toothpaste?? I wonder what the flavours are in Korea?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure... they told me to bring toothpaste because they said it tastes different there!

    Perhaps a kimchi flavoured one!

    ReplyDelete