Thursday, November 27, 2008

My first day at school

Yesterday was my first day at school! It went pretty well considering I haven't taught since May. I had one class that had 9 students in it, and another with 4. They have small class sizes because it's a private school ('hagwon').

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I teach those two classes. Each period is 2 hours and 50 minutes! That is quite long in my opinion, but the students are used to it.

On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, I teach 3 classes which are 1 hour and 50 minutes. That is what I will be doing today. Hopefully it goes well.
Also, this is my second weekend in Korea. I think I am going to Seoul this weekend!!! I am excited for that.

Well, as always, I have some new pictures for all of you! Please enjoy!










The elevator to my school - I'm one the 3rd floor

















The lobby / reception area of my school















My classroom!!

























They have very strict rules! English immersion or they get in trouble!








The mailboxes in my apartment building. They don't really lock them or anything, everyone's mail is just hanging out!













This is the place we went on my very first night in Korea.
















Sarah and I sitting at the table in the restaurant


















We ordered drinks! I had Soju, which you can only find in Korea. It is in the green bottle, at tastes like a milder version of vodka. (Not very tasty). Sarah had Cass which is Korean beer.












Then the food came! Again, the grill in the middle and little side dishes along the outside for everyone to share!







Another restaurant. The staff of our school went to say goodbye to the teacher I'm taking over for.
This is octopus. My lifetime motto is "try everything once". So I did. I think I ate the one next to the brocolli.
Next time I think I'll go sans octopus.
That's all for now, I will be posting shortly about a walk I took to Emart again!
Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. Ew! The octopus looks gross!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings, traveler from the distant future. In the time within which I exist, scientists have recently designed a storage compartment that you buckle around your waste. They call it a fanny pack...since it's strap rests on one's fanny. I realize that it may seem primitive to someone as technologically advanced as yourself but I truly never thought I would see this day.
    ...riiiight, well that went on a lot longer than I had anticipated. I'm diggin' the posts man - I've been following along since the start. I've laughed, and cried....Well actually I havn't cried. However, I did almost vomit when I thought about eating one of those octopus (octopi?) But I'm glad to hear that you've made it through your first week and I hope you're feeling good about the rest of the year!
    Peace buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could never eat an octopus because I would be scared of their suckers. Did it have an incredibly weird texture? I would think it would.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thing the pic of the octopus is blurry. I'm with Steph on this one. It does look gross. I would have changed my motto about "try everything once" when that arrived on the table! At least you don't have to worry about lactose intolerance eating that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ian:

    This is a test by Richard and Karen. We're trying to get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last night, Aunt Karen and I had Chinese in downtown Hamilton with two other couples and then went off to Hamilton Place to see the play "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels". The Chinese was just so-so. I would rather try something I had not had before, like the Korean food you had experienced.

    ReplyDelete