Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

Well, it's Mother's Day today so if you haven't yet, wish your mother a happy day!

It's back to reality for me now, after experiencing Tokyo last weekend. I had 3 days back at work, and it was just as I had left it. After leaving Japan, I feel way different than when I left China. China was wonderful, but I wouldn't want to live there or anything. My feeling about Japan is totally opposite. I would live in Japan, but maybe only for 6 months or something, rather than a whole year.

I am thinking about going back to Japan for a quick visit maybe at the end of my contract, or some time during the summer, but if I go during the summer, I will only be able to go for 2 days because I only get the weekends off. If I go after my contract, I will have as much time there as I want. I'll have to see.

Something about Japan felt natural - like I should be there. While in China, I felt more like a guest. Either way, I'm in Korea for another 7 months, so I should make the best of it! Speaking of making the best of it, this is what I have done this weekend:

Yesterday I went to a Traditional Korean Dance show, which was actually really cool! They did a fan dance, a drum dance and an orchestra of old Korean instruments played which I really enjoyed. At the end, they had the drum dance, which was really neat to watch. Unfortunately, you're not allowed to take pictures so I have no pics to put here. Anyway, at the end of the performance they chose 3 people to go up on stage and hit the drums with them. Naturally, as I stick out like a sore thumb here, I found myself on stage banging this drum! I was hesitant at first to go up and do it, but after some convincing (from both Sarah and the drum lady), I went up and hit the drum! I got to keep the drum sticks!

Last night, we went to Noraebong (Kareoke) with Antoinette, and Lindsay's sister, Mom and Aunt. It was really really fun! We were there for 4 hours!!!!! Before that though, I bought a wooden pan flute from a guy who lives in Peru.

Then we met this guy who is from Canada (I think Kitchener), and his wife from Korea. He's lived here for 5 years now! The night was a success.

Today I just went out for lunch with Mark (I guess it was dinner time, but I woke up at like 1:30pm), and we had Indian food! MMMMMMMMMM delicious. I am so happy that Mark showed me this place, because I had to go all the way to Itaewon for my Indian food before! This Indian food place is in Bucheon, like 10 minutes away from my house (it's in The Mall).

Tonight we're going to see a movie - Wolverine. I haven't seen any of the X-men movies, and I don't really know anything about the story lines, or the characters, but I've heard it's a good movie so I'm excited to see it. And I'm excited to eat the popcorn and what not. Interesting thing about the movies - when you get your tickets, you choose what seat you want to sit in and then you have whatever seat you want when you watch the movie. It's kind of cool.

So yes. That's happening tonight at 9. I am about 2/3 my way through this book that my parents brought me when they came here. It's called Brother One Cell, and it's about this American guy who came to Korea to teach English (illegally), and when he was here, he went to the Phillipenes and tried to send himself hash in the mail. He got caught and spent 3.5 years in Korean prison. It's a good book.

That's my update about life back in Korea.

Oh, David (the Belgian guy we met in Japan), is coming to Korea at the end of June I think. It'll be fun to show him around. He is interested in teaching here, so this is kind of a test to see if he likes the country I suppose.

Sarah's parents left this morning, I guess they will be arriving tomorrow some time back in Minnesota. Lindsay's parents are leaving tomorrow I think.

Oh ya, I'm going to a city called Busan with Mark, Lindsay, Antoinette and Jenny at the end of May. Busan is like a beach city in Korea. It's in the Southeast end of the Korean peninsula for those of you who enjoy geography as much as I do (which is VERY much). Anyway, it's apparently quite nice, like Florida or something with the beaches, so I'm looking forward to that.

Then in July I think I mentioned here, (but if I didn't I'm mentioning it now), I'm going to Jeju island with Lindsay. Jeju is an island off the southern tip of Korea and it's compared to Hawaii in the states. It's apparently quite nice. We aren't going to Cambodia / Thailand anymore because it's mad expensive to go there. And the war in Thailand may have also effected our decision.

Alright, I will go now. I think I could go for a nice hot cup of coffee.

Auf Wiedersehen.

2 comments:

  1. I clicked on Jeju Island. Lots of nice pics of waterfalls and I like the Jeju stone statues. Busan (Pusan) is where many Canadians fought in the Korean War from 1950-1953. That is where Tom Somers fought. He is the man who wrote the book I brought over for you.
    Thank you for remembering me on Mother's Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!!
    1. We are going to miss you for chinese at Grandma's!
    2. Before you get any crazy ideas about japan, you best be coming home first! We miss you!

    ReplyDelete