Friday, November 21, 2008

Korea

My first thoughts - it took a long time to get here, there are lots of lights. I got here about 4.5 hours ago, and I immediately met my manager. He seems nice, he's a little hard to understand though. I'm sure I'll get used to it! Yes, there are lots of lights, the street outside looks like Las Vegas! I'll take a picture, but not tonight.

I was introduced to 2 teachers from my school, Sarah and Lindsay who are both quite nice. Sarah is from Minnesota and Lindsay went to Western at the same time I did! We met up with 3 of their friends and we went out for a meal. It was very similar to the meal I with my sister Donna in Toronto at the Korean Grill House. I had 'kimchi' for the first time with the meal as well. I liked it. It's a different taste. I just figurd out how to add links to my entries. Can you tell??

Here are a few pictures from my journey to Asia.

This is the plane that I took from Toronto to Chicago. It was a 2 hour flight. From there I went to Tokyo, which took 13.5 hours and then from Tokyo I landed in Korea. The last flight took just over 2 hours. It was 28 hours from when I left my driveway in Hamilton to when I arrived at my apartment here in Korea.







This was the view coming into Chicago. I'm looking south-east onto the skyline.



Entering the Tokyo Narita Airport









I arrive at my apartment in Bucheon, South Korea!


Left: My desk against a huge window. It will be nice in the sunlight




Above Right: my kitchen - quite small. With a washing machine!
Left: Looking from my desk towards the front door






Looking up into the loft area - the loft area that's so short I can't stand up in it!





Last, and most definately least, the washing machine is only in Korean! What happened to bilingual appliances??



Tomorrow Sarah from Minnesota is bringing me to Korean Wal-mart which they call E-mart. Apparently they're quite similar. It should be fun. Also I have to open a bank account and what not.
I called my parents when I arrived in Korea, and we had a short but nice chat. My manager let me use the phone. I had to dial - 0011 then the area code and phone number! It was great to be able to talk to them!
As a side note, I hear that my blog is being forwarded world wide now! Hello to those reading from the Netherlands!
Alright, it's 3:53am local time and I've been on the internet updating people and chatting for WAY too long. I am waking up at 11am so I'll be tired, but hopefully that will allow me to sleep well tomorrow night.
I will keep everyone posted on my adventures to come! Specifically buying groceries and exploring my new city!
Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ian, your dad sent me the link to your blog.
    Welcome to, well, there...; the other side of the world. I am commenting on a post you did yesterday which is still today here. I like the neat looking stairs to your loft. What happens if you start off on the wrong foot? Do you have to go back down to the bottom and start over?
    Anyway, all the best in Korea. I will be following your adventures.
    Take Care,
    Uncle John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Uncle John!

    I suppose now you're home is closer to me than my Mom & Dad's home!

    It's great to know you're following me along in my Korean journey!

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete