Saturday, November 22, 2008

My journal entries

The following notes are ones I jotted down in my journal before and during my journey to Korea. I wrote in here when I didn't have a computer available or if I felt like a change from virtual updates. Anyway, here they are!

Tuesday Nov. 18, 2008

2 days before my departure, I am confronted with a variety of emotions. I am excited, nervous, sad, lethargic and a little overwhelmed.
Speaking with Steph today made me realise that I am leaving very soon and I will miss everyone very much.
I have travelled a lot in the past, and I have lived away from home for a total of 5 years. Every so often while living alone I would think about family or friends and get upset. I'm sure I will do the same this coming year. I'm not sure if my extreme distance from home will prompt that to happen more or less frequently.
Regardless, I will miss my family, friends and everyone else that I love here in Canada.
So as I sit here at my desk in my study, looking at the sincere and heartfelt messages left on the 'good luck' cards, I realise that there are people who will be thinking of me throughout the course of the year.
Knowing that I will be in the hearts of those people brings me comfort and warmth, because it's through these hearts that I will remain close to home.


Thursday November 20th, 2008 - 6:30am (Ontario Time)

Here I am sitting in the Toronto Airport. It is 6:30am, and my plane is supposed to leave at 8. I wore a hoodie & my winter jacket because they were too bulky to pack. I'm slightly on the warm side of events.
I look around and see people on their laptops. They have them plugged into the ground. I will do that momentarily. Hopefully they have wireless internet.
Saying goodbye to my parents was difficult. My Mom got teary-eyed, but I saved my tears for when I opened this journal and a picture of me and my sisters fell out. I gained my composure, but I'm still upset.
But when I think where I'm going, and the new people I'm going to meet, I get excited and anxious for the events of the coming year.
There was a Tim Hortons back a bit in the terminal, perhaps I'll go there to burn some time / blow my nose. (I forgot to pack kleenex in my carry on). That is all for now. I'll update soon.


Thursday November 20, 2008 - 11:30am (Chicago time)

The Boeing 747-400 jet is being boarded. I have found my seat, and it's alright. I'm not at an aisle, but I wasn't planning on that.
I selected my seat online last night. I haven't flown on a plane this size before. It has 2 levels! I did some research online - the plane holds approximately 340 people (I can't remember the exact number). It travels at a speed of 903km/h. The flight is expected to take 13 hours and 5 minutes. That is a lot of kilometres! I sent out e-mails and also updated my blog whilst at the Chicago airport.
I'm trying to update as frequently as possible. I'm not sure when my body will require sleep, so I'll do my best to stay on top of the updating situation. I figured out that the best time to sleep would be right now, so that I can get on the sleeping schedule that Korean time demands.
I brought Gravol to assist me in that endeavour. Well, people look like they may have all boarded. The seat to my right is empty, the seat next to that is taken and the seat to my left is taken. The seats look like this 3 - 4 - 3. OOO OXOO OOO. I'm at the X.
Well I hear the engines starting up. I'm going to go read the skymall magazine. I'll update later when I'm bored. Hopefully I will have slept by then.


Mid-flight

I'm not entirely sure what time it is, or how long we've been flying. We are definately in our first half still though. "Get Smart" is on right now. The part where Steve Carrell says "okay" like he's deaf just happened. It was hilarious. There is a guy next to me who is probably about my age. Right now he's curled up in a little ball sleeping. I will be sleeping soon, I just took a Gravol.
The dance off scene with the really big girl just happened. I would be watching this movie if Steph and I hadn't rented it like 3 days ago.
The plane is going across the praries, north to Alaska, and then is approaching Tokyo from the NNE. The last I saw on the map, we were just entering Saskatchewan. Then I fell asleep. We could be anywhere now. I'm trying to look out the window, but it's kind of hard from where I'm sitting. Perhaps I'll go for a walk and stand by / look out one of the doors, although being by the doors makes me nervous. I don't want to get sucked out like in the movies.
When this guy wakes up I might steal his spot. He's across the one empty seat. He fell asleep there whilst I was awake. At the time it didn't seem to be too much of a problem. I'm rambling so I'll go now. I'll update soon.


Hello again, I had a nap and watched 3 episodes of the Golden Girls on my laptop. I'm pretty sure we've crossed the international date line by now. I've been up for a very long time, but we are flying with the sun, so it hasn't got dark yet. I'm guessing it will get dark either while I'm in Tokyo, or a short while into my last flight.

The movie "Swing Vote" is on right now. I'm not watching it though. Once it turns off I'll be able to see where we are. Last I checked, we were just south of the Bering Strait, beginning to head WSW. Now I think we are hanging out over the North Pacific.
The same guy next to me is sleeping again. He's been sleeping for a long time. I'm not sure what time it is, or how long I've been on the plane, but my guess is that I have around 5 hours to go. We are getting several meals. I used chopsticks with my last one, which was fun.
I'm getting tired again. I think for me it is around 10pm Hamilton time. I woke up at 4am, so it's late for me. I guess Steph is starting work! That's weird, because it's very bright outside the window. This movie is so long! I just want to see our progress! I'm going to go for a walk soon anyway. Last time I went to the washroom, we hit some turbulence. Hopefully that doesn't happen again this time.
I have been enjoying the flight. It has been a long flight, but it is comfortable and they help you out with whatever you need. The flight from Toronto to Chicago wasn't quite as friendly in terms of service. Alright it's time for my walk. I'll update soon.


Nov. 21, 2008, Tokyo, Japan (5:15pm local time)

So I've just boarded the last plane. All of the signs in the airport were in Japanese, Korean, English and another language I didn't recognise, but I'm assuming it's Mandarin.
So the wireless internet in the Tokyo Narita Airport wasn't working so I couldn't update anything online.
The last flight was around 13.5 hours. For the obnoxious length of it, it wasn't too terrible.
However, I didn't have much time between planes. So once again, as in Chicago, I wasn't able to take advantage of the special international mileage plus members lounge. Anyway, now the seats look like this 2 - 5 - 2. OO XOOOO OO. I'm the X. I'm also at the front so I have lots of leg room.
They're playing Mozart on the speaker system right now, which is just lovely.
I was selected for a "random" screening on the way into the plane. They did the same thing that customs did at the beginning right when I got into Japan. I guess I know what it is like to be the suspicious foreigner now!
I probably look like a terrorist right now too because I've been awake for way too long. Anyway, I might update later in the flight. If not, I will write an entry when I get to my apartment. K bye.


That's all I wrote so far, because I found out I got wireless internet the day I got here. Anyway, I'll update again tomorrow when I have more adventures!

1 comment:

  1. Ian: you may be in the wrong business! You could be a writer!
    Now there is a "novel" idea.

    Keep up the good work. We are enjoying reading about your experiences.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete