Monday, March 16, 2009

Birthdays and wars.

Alright, my computer is STILL messed up. I got my hopes up for a bit there... anyway, long story short it's a piece of junk and I wish to throw it into a black hole. I was originally going to include pictures in this post, but it's not allowing me to do that. Once again... piece of junk.

In more exciting & cultural news, on the weekend I did many things. I went to a first birthday party for my supervisor's daughter. It was really fun. First birthdays are a HUGE thing over here. There was family, friends, and a LOT of food. They wore their traditional "hanboks" for the first part of it. It was really fun. Here's a video of everyone singing happy birthday to the birthday girl!

Today they calmly informed us that there would be an "army drill" at 2pm. As a result our students would be late. They are quite used to it here, but it was really surprising to my co-workers and me! After we asked a lot of questions, we figured out that this happens regularly, and that it is to practice what would happen in case of war. Scary! Apparently North Korea is planning to launch a satellite between April 4th and 6th, which could prompt a war. Also, South Korea has a huge amount of it's soldiers at the DMZ line, which is apparently also a "rehearsal" type thing, but they have the largest amount of soldiers there than ever before. It's all up in the air right now as to what is going to happen with that. I hope nothing bad happens, because I don't know where the Canadian embassy is, nor do I want to die.

Anyway, I took a video of a street outside my apartment / work are that is usually REALLY busy during the day. During this "war drill" no one is allowed to drive on the streets, because priority goes to tanks and police and what not. It was all very eerie. I'm not sure if I spelled eerie right. Here's the video.

That's all for now, because I'm tired and my computer keeps freezing. I have to get off of here before I through this garbage out the window.

3 comments:

  1. I wish I was there for the birthday party. That's quite an experience for you. Also, quite an experience for them having "foreigners" there. Everyone looks soooo cute dressed in their "hanboks!" The little ones are precious. As for the war drill, nobody seems concerned walking along. They don't even notice a "tourist" taking a video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope nothing bad happens either. It might mess up our holidays.......
    You haven't died yet eating weird food so...
    AND you have your birthday gift!!!! SAFE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A war!!! Correct me if I am wrong, but somehow I don't think that was in your contract....

    ReplyDelete