Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Bi-solarism

Well, I have mixed emotions about the solar eclipse. It was cool to say that I've seen it, but it wasn't as eclipsy as I thought it would be. I went up to the roof for about 20 minutes, and tried to take some pictures, but it didn't really work. I tried a bunch of different ways to take a picture, but it didn't work. Anyway, I looked at it directly twice, each time just a glance. You know when you look at something bright (like a camera flash) it sticks in your eyes for a while? When I looked at it, all I could see was brightness. But after I looked away, the light that was in my (eye) memory looked like a waning crescent moon, with the crescent shape looking like a C shape rather than a ) . It was cool.

If I were in Busan again, the sun would have been 10% more covered than it was here just outside of Seoul, but I'm happy that I've seen it anyway. There were 2 other people on the roof just as I was leaving. The one guy scared the heeby jeebies out of me because I was standing so close to the edge and he just showed up without saying anything. I'm insanely acrophobic so that wasn't a pleasant surprise.

Now I'm enjoying a nice hot coffee that is behind schedule by about 1 hour. Well, it's right on schedule actually, but I woke up an hour earlier on this special day of cosmic activity.

As I said, the pictures didn't work, but here is a picture of a solar eclipse anyway. This is roughly the same shape as what I saw today.

1 comment:

  1. I guess the Koreans get as excited about a solar eclipse as they do about the aid raid sirens going off......

    ReplyDelete