Monday, October 26, 2009

4 weeks

Well, as of today it's 4 weeks until my last day of teaching. That excites me more than it should. I know 4 weeks is a long time, but compared with 52, it doesn't seem so bad anymore! Yesterday was kind of a bad day, I have to teach Science which is part of the problem. I didn't do ESL training to come to Korea and teach Science. I didn't stop taking Science in grade 10 (10 years ago) to come to Korea and teach Science.

Actually, Science isn't really the problem. I like what I'm teaching because I think it's interesting, but the students DON'T CARE. I don't blame them... I could imagine spending 6 hours a week at a school learning Science in French... I wouldn't like it. They're paying to study English, not Science. Anyway, that wasn't the problem.

Yesterday this student was being really rude so I sent her out to the counter staff. I know it doesn't sound that bad, but it ruined the whole lesson because then I noticed that no one was really interested in what I was saying. It was frustrating. All I can say is that I'll be done with this soon. I like to think that I could do it again for 6 months somewhere else, but there has to be a point where the money doesn't make up for what you have to do... It was probably April when I started thinking to myself, "You're getting $100 a day for this... just keep going". Now, even that amount of money seems like it's not worth it.

I like a job I can perfect. One that when people see me do it, they say "wow, you're good at this"... TIM HORTONS.

My ideas in this post aren't really coherent... I suppose it's because I just woke up and I am only half way through my morning coffee.

I'll update soon, probably on Thursday when it's 4 weeks until I come home!

2 comments:

  1. When you see the end in sight, it can't come fast enough. Most of us have had jobs like that at some point but some people get in a rut and spend all their working years hating their job. You're young and there is so much out there for you. Be patient. Work hard. It will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 weeks and 6 days until your flight lands in Canada! Woot Woot~ absolutely peanuts compared to your last countdown in April! Can't wait!
    Happy Halloween!!

    ReplyDelete