Sunday, November 8, 2009

Pocheon - pictures & 2 VIDEOS!!

Well, this weekend I went to Pocheon, which is a city north of Seoul, kind of close to North Korea. It's Jenny's hometown. We had a really good time. I got to meet her family - her parents, her sister-in-law and her nephew. When we got there, we went to a temple to say hi to the monks (Jenny is friends with them). We had tea with them and then went back to her brother's house. Back in the day, Jenny's grandmother was a monk and she brought some orphans to the temple to help them grow up because they didn't have parents. Now they're Jenny's age and they are friends, so that's the story about that!

Um, after that we went to a really nice lake at the base of a bunch of mountains. We had lunch there. Walking into the restaurant, I noticed some chickens on a hill and I thought, "oh look! Chickens!"... then we went into the restaurant and had chicken. I could help but think that it was the chicken from the hill. Jenny asked. It was.

After that we went down to a different part of the lake's waterfront. That's where I had the most disgusting food I've eaten yet in Korea. Worse than moving, living octopus, worse than raw crab, or even the cow blood soup that comes with a chunk of curdled blood inside.

This food is called "Beondegi" - it's cooking silkworm pupa. Wow, I just looked up a picture of silkworm and I almost vomited. Anyway... There is a video of me trying that out. It's not a pretty thing.

Right, after that we went on a ride called the viking which was fun, but the guard rail safety thing was definately broken and we were a little worried. Here is a quick video to show that.

Then we went on a paddle boat on the lake which was fun. Our paddle boat had a roof on it shaped like a duck. After that we had dinner, and that's about it.

The next day, we went to pizza hut for lunch and then I headed back to Seoul by myself. Jenny stayed behind because Monday is the anniversary of her Grandmother's death, so they go to the grave and make offerings and bow.

That was my weekend! I guess the highlight was the Beondegi... I've always seen it, and it smells really bad so I usually just walk away because it's so nasty. But I thought this time, this might be my last time to try it, so I'll just do it!

That's all. For now, here are some pictures of the weekend!








5 comments:

  1. Ian I love the duck boat! That would look perfect on Limestone Lake!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched the video! I LOVE the final two sentences at the very end.
    You told Jenny it is still in your mouth and she said, I know!!!
    What's the rest of the story?
    Sure hope you had dental floss and some great tasting Canadian toothpaste handy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you actually swallow it?
    I think Pizza Hut is a much safer bet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ian,
    I do hope you come home soon, you can't continue eating those snacks---I don't feel good thinking about it.
    Sorry I will miss your homecoming, I will visit on the 13th, so will miss you. Have a great trip home

    ReplyDelete
  5. The duck boat on Limestone Lake would be great. The boys could fish and the girls could drink wine and have appetizers and "float" around. Apps would NOT include, squiggly octopus, bubbly larva, any type of squid or blood soup! Galbi on a toothpick, maybe...

    ReplyDelete