Saturday, December 6, 2008

Shopping at Myong Dong

Well, this weekend I went to a place called Myong Dong. It's very busy. I took lots of pictures, but they're all on Sarah's camera because I forgot mine! I will be posting those pictures soon.

As I said, it was very busy. It was fun though. I bought some things here and there. I bought a box of this candy that is called Dragon's Beard candy. They made it right in front of us and it was REALLY cool. The guys only knew a little bit of English, but they were pretty funny. I wish I taped the whole process, I was laughing so hard. Anyway, reason number 1 to come to Korea - the experience of watching Dragon's Beard candy being made right in front of you, and then eating it in all of it's deliciousness.

Actually, there are several reasons to come here, but I haven't mentioned them officially in this blog. I suppose reason 1 could have also been the Changdeokgung Palace that I visited on Thursday.

Also while we were there, there was some sort of big demonstration with a bunch of people carrying candles and signs and shouting things. It was confusing at first... and quite frankly still is. I'm not sure what it was about. There were anywhere between 500-1000 police officers in grid line ups with their riot shields handy just in case anything got rowdy. It was pretty intimidating! Once again, I took many pictures, but I will have to post them once I get a hold of Sarah's camera!

I found this music store too! I bought 2 books - Brahms Klavierstücke and Mussorgskij Bilder einer Ausstellung (Pictures at an Exhibition). I am excited. I eventually plan on getting an electric piano for my apartment because I haven't played piano now for 2 weeks (well, I played last weekend for about 10 minutes in a piano store). I would get a real piano, but being in an apartment building I don't exactly want to play fff.

What else. Last night we went to the foreigner bar called "Foreign Exchange", which is the old "Canada Buddy". It was alright. There were a few obnoxious people that were drunk at the bar, and the atmosphere was not as warm as the "Rhythm and Booze" foreigner bar. Also, their poutine (which I was looking forward to since I arrived in Korea) wasn't the best I've had.

All in all, I would recommend Rhythm and Booze over Foreign Exchange, although the staff at Foreign Exchange were quite nice.

This coming Friday I finally get my Alien Registration Card. That means I can get a bank account and a phone!

That is all for now, I have many essays to mark and lesson plans to make!

Hope all is well in Canada and everywhere else!

3 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to seeing the pics of the protestors or demonstrators or whatever they were and the police in their riot gear. Such excitement! You finally got to Canada Buddy eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Ian!! It's so cool that your teaching in Korea, Jon and I considered doing that for a while but we decided to stay in Alberta for the kids. It looks like it is interesting there though. Anyway... just thought I'd say hi! I haven't seen ya in like 15 years or so, how ya been? Talk to you soon. Your cousin Jen Groff(Kivell) in Alberta!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ian: I have a weeks worth of your blog to catch up on. I was away on a cruise in the warm Caribbean while Uncle was here in the COLD of Canada. Sounds like you are having a good time. I am looking forward to seeing the riot police in all their gear. While we were in Europe in the fall we also came across a protest in Budapest and Uncle was taking all sorts of pics of the different cruisers and uniforms. It's not something we see every day.

    ReplyDelete