Saturday, April 18, 2009

Korea's Got Seoul

I couldn't have a blog from Korea without using that title at least once.

Anyway, we've had a busy few days. Thursday, we visited Chinatown in Incheon. It was pretty fun. There is a nice park there on the top of a mountain which was full of blooming cherry blossoms. Friday, we went to Aiin's world. I love how realistic everything is there!

Today (Saturday), we went to the changing of the guards ceremony at Deoksugung Palace. There, we tried on hanboks, and took pictures. My Dad was asked to bang the giant drum at the beginning of the ceremony which was really fun! There were tons of people watching, and he got to start of the ceremony by hitting the drum! He was in his hanbok too, and we got lots of great pictures!

From there, we went to this festival we found. It was an awareness type of affair for disabilities caused by accidents. We saw some interesting things. I got some pictures, and a baloon-sword.

After that, we went to Changdeokgung. That's the palace in Northern Seoul that has the secret garden. I've been there before, but it was nice to go again. While we were there, there was this guy in the tour who had like 10 body guards so we asked who he was. It turns out that he is the head commander general of the Phillipenes' army! Quite important apparently.

Lastly, we went to Insadong which was fun. We didn't spend too much time there, because we were hungry and wanted to find a restaurant. We did get to see dragon's beard being made, so that was fun.

Oh, last night we found a different lobster fishing machine (our regular one is broken), so we played it a bit. I think this machine is better... I got better vibes from it. Anyway, I probably don't have to say here that I will go back and do it again, because that should just be assumed! lol

That brings us to now, Saturday night. It's 7:40 and we've had a long day. As far as I know, we are planning to go to E-mart soon, and just look around. I'm not sure if we are going to go out for dinner or not. We tried the Bulgogi at some restaurant in Insadong, but it wasn't really that great. So we might be hungry again later.

Tomorrow we are going to go on a DMZ tour which will be really interesting I think. I have wanted to go to the tour since I got here, but I've never gotten around to doing it. It is supposed to be pretty intense.

Well, I've run out of things to say.

Buh bye!

Outside the Hyundai Dept. Store











Using chopsticks!











Getting our breakfast!











The park in Incheon's Chinatown











Soondubu!













Aiin's World!













The sun was in my eyes, and my face looks weird...













Mom & Dad in Times Square!













Dad banging the drum at the changing of the guards ceremony!













Mom & Dad at the Changdeokgung Palace!













Nice family pic!













This one is for Uncle Richard! The translation is literally this: "Point of death, accident, unauthorized crossing. Seoul Jongdo Police Station"

3 comments:

  1. Great pictures. Your parents can now teach us how to use chop sticks. No more fondues this will be the new thing to do! Uncle says thanks for the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suggest anyone reading this blog to click on the DMZ tour to read about the separation of North and South Korea. It's an interesting piece of history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pic of Dad is hilarious

    ReplyDelete