Wednesday, November 25, 2009

As the sun sets in Asia...

Here it is - my last blog post from Korea. I might make one more when I get back to Canada, but it's time to put this blog to rest.

People are going to ask me, "How was Korea"? I think it would take me about an hour to give them an honest answer.

Take a normal year in Canada and think of all the ways you feel throughout it. Amplify every feeling by 10x.

Feelings of loneliness were coupled with anxiety and isolation. Feelings of frustration came along with a language barrier and cultural differences that take a long time to get used to. Feelings of doubt brought with them challenges of adapting to a new country, and trying to do a new job well or getting eaten alive by kids while trying!

On the other hand, feelings of excitement would come with curiosity, and the thrill of experiencing such an amazing place and discovering such an beautiful culture. Being so privileged and fortunate to be able to go to the other side of the world for a once in a life time opportunity is an indescribable feeling. I will always be thankful to Korea and its people for teaching me about valuing what other countries have to offer, and what I can offer to other countries.

Korea has been a roller coaster of events and emotions. I'd be flat out lying if I were to say I didn't like it at times. I'd even be flat out lying if I were to say I didn't look up flights to come home half way through! I'm proud that I stayed and went through the year. Even though work has made me more frustrated than I've ever been, it was a challenge and I'm glad I stuck through to the end.

I will really miss Korea when I get home, but I think the excitement of being back in Canada will over shadow those feelings for at least a couple weeks. Then I'm sure I'll start to think, "I remember in Korea... this was easier... this was fun..." (I'm thinking of the convenience of ordering in McDonald's).

Anyway, to all the people in Korea and to all the people I've met when I taught here, I want to say thank you. Thank you for helping me and for showing me what a wonderful thing it is to be with friends when you're far away from home. Thank you for being with me on Christmas when we were all happy and warm because we were with each other. Thank you for being with me when I was lost in Seoul! Thank you for being there always.

To all the people in Canada - I'm so excited to get home and to see everyone. A year is way too long to be apart, and I can't wait to see all of you! Thank you for being so supportive when I decided to come here - it was that support that made me confident enough to make the decision.

And now it's time I have to say good bye from Korea. I'll miss it and love it forever.

Hopefully I'll be back some day...

Goodbye, Korea.

Ian

2 comments:

  1. This almost makes me want to cry... I really cherish the times we had back then....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I just noticed I didn't reply to this comment!

    Really - Korea was one of the best times of my life. And you know what made it so special - the people I was with. You guys met me less than 10 seconds after I got out of the cab from the airport. I was very lucky to end up with such an amazing family of teachers. I've heard stories of lousy schools/co-workers and I realize I'm very lucky. It was nice that we could all hang out together! I remember those nights in Mark & Jen's apartment playing nintendo on the projector!!

    ReplyDelete